Are you 15 years of age or older and want your State of Maine permit to prepare for your driving exam? We offer driver education courses to help build strong, safe, and confident drivers. Students are awarded an instructional permit upon successful completion of the course with a grade of 80 percent or better. Only employee discounts allowed but must call to register. If the student requires medication and/or has a medical condition please contact the office as an additional medical form is required. Total hours of instruction is 40; 30 classroom and 10 driving. Full payment of $495 is required at the time of registration. If a student withdraws from the course, $75 is withheld from the refund to cover program costs. Only employee discounts for this class. Please bring your birth certificate to the first class. Parents are required to attend the first hour of the first class. Classes will be held 2:30-4:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays with dates listed below:
January 4, 6, 11, 13, 18, 20, 25, 27
February 1, 3, 8, 10, 15, 17
March 1 (final exam)
Covid 19 safety protocols will be followed, including masks and social distancing. Please note: if Covid restrictions in schools are lifted at the time the class starts, the dates and times will be adjusted to move back to 3 hour classes.
Please read the following:
The Driver Education Guidelines under which we operate are listed below. These guidelines are in accordance with the Secretary of State and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). An unexcused absence (no show) from the individually scheduled driving time requires an additional payment of $50/hour if that time is to be made up, to be paid to Merrymeeting Adult Education. A 24-hour notice is required to change times and must be coordinated through the instructor.
1. All students must be at least 15 years of age by the time they start class, please bring birth certificate to the first class.
2. All students must attend at least 30 hours of classroom instruction as required by the Secretary of State.
3. If a student misses a class a fee of $50 per 2-hour class will be assessed to make-up the class.
4. If a student needs to withdraw to attend the next session of Driver Ed, a $75 re-enrollment fee will be assessed.
5. All students must drive behind the wheel for ten hours. Students who do not show up for their scheduled driving times will be charged $50/hour to make up this time with the instructor.
6. A parent or legal guardian must accompany the student during behind-the-wheel driving for one of his/her driving hours to be arranged by the instructor and parent.
7. Successful completion of the Driver’s Education Course will result when the student has passed each of the following requirements by at least 80%:
8. All grades will be kept and filed with the Student Record Sheets.
9. A $50 an hour fee will be charged if extra driving time is requested over the class time of 10 hours. Payment must be made prior to the scheduled driving time.
11. It is asked that a parent/guardian attend the last hour of the first day of class.
Merrymeeting Adult Education believes that every student is entitled to respect, as an individual, from all other members of the school community. In support of this belief, Merrymeeting Adult Education recognizes the right of each student to learn and to participate in an environment free of intimidation, ridicule, and hostility, as provided under State and Federal law and District policy.
In support of this right, Merrymeeting Adult Education prohibits harassment or ridicule of students based upon race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, national origin, or handicap.
All students should be advised that they may contact any employee of Merrymeeting Adult Education to report instances of harassment or ridicule. Students should also be advised of the importance of informing the harasser that his/her behavior is unacceptable.
A staff member who is informed of an instance of possible harassment shall contact the Director of the school as quickly as possible. The Director shall notify the Superintendent and immediately undertake an investigation of the matter and take (interim) action as may be required.